Newbie XP question

Help each other out

Newbie XP question

Postby Roscoe62 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:04 am

I don't even use X-Lobby yet! But I'm getting ready to use it as soon as I can get this little problem sorted.

It doesn't even relate specifically to X-Lobby, but I'm guessing someone has already sorted out how to get around this. Hope you can help.

OK, I'm setting up a media server and want to have my main HTPC access the VOB files on it. I also note that I need .NET set up in order to use X-Lobby.

Ever since I set up .NET on my media PC I note that I now have to "log in" every time I want to use WinXP. I haven't set up a password, but it's still an extra step I have to take in order to get to use my PC.

Once I set up .NET on my HTPC (so I can use X-Lobby) I don't want to have to log in each and every time my HTPC starts up. How does everyone else get around this issue?

I only have a Pronto to control the HTPC at the moment - I will be getting around to buying a PPC.....but not for a while....so any solution would have to cater for a standard Pronto. I do have Girder installed so perhaps there's a way there?

I can't WAIT to start using X-Lobby......I'd be REALLY grateful if someone could steer me in the right direction!

TIA
Ross
:D
Roscoe62

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:17 pm

Control Panel/User Accounts/Change the way users log on or off/uncheck welcome screen

thats it :)
stevenhanna6

Postby Roscoe62 on Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:27 am

:oops:

Unbelievable! I'm embarrassed it was THAT easy!!

Oh well.....X-Lobby here I come!!

:lol:
Roscoe62

Weeellll......

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:53 am

Actually, all that does is CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOG ON.....but you still have to log on. Admittedly it's easier (I don't have a password on my account so all I have to do is hit <enter>) but it's still an extra step, whereas before all I had to do was put a DVD or CD in and the correct program would immediately launch.

The only way I can think of to get around it is to add an <enter> command to the startup macro from my Pronto, but that doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution.

Is there ANYTHING else I'm missing? How is everyone else getting around this?

:cry:
Roscoe62

Postby mattdisaster on Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:36 pm

actually I've been trying to fool around wtih this myself. Ideally I'de like to have it not show the windows login at al, rather jus the desktop with no icons, at which point i'de have the background be the same splash background for xlobby. Something along those lines, I'm gonna start looking around for tweaks that remove it altogether.

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby trevis on Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:10 pm

Heh, my HTPC has been on since i built it. The only time i login is incase of power outage or upgrade. But i too keep it clean, just a background, no icons, with the xlobby background set to the same image as my wallpaper.
trevis

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:50 pm

weird that didnt work, here are a couple other ideas

1. Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Click "Change An Account">Click Your Username>Click "Remove Password"

or

2. Download and install TweakUI

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe

then Start>Program Files>Powertoys for Windows XP>TweakUI for Windows XP and navigate to "Logon" then "Autologin" Then set password, Apply>OK>Reboot .
stevenhanna6

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:58 pm

Thanks Steve,

I don't think that first suggestion will work, as I don't have a password to delete, but your 2nd suggestion sounds promising. I'll give that a try and see how I get on.

:)
Roscoe62

Postby Roscoe62 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:02 am

Oh yeah baby!!!!!

TweakUI does the trick!!!

Excellent! Thanks Steve!

8)
Roscoe62

Postby TomKal on Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:51 am

I had the same prob till I found this somewhere on the net.

Click on Start, then Run, then type 'control userpasswords2'

This brings up a 'User Accounts' screen that has a simple check box to disable the requirement to login.

It's odd cuz if I try to access this via the Control Panel, I get the dumbed down version of 'User Accounts' that does not have that same check box.
TomKal