Pronto or PPC for Xlobby.

Help each other out

Pronto or PPC for Xlobby.

Postby rhinoman on Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:17 pm

In my main room I have a HTPC running Theatretek, Dscaler for sky and Winamp with album list plugin, controlled by my pronto via a usbuirt and girder.

Having been bowled over with what xlobby offers and love the music control via pocket pc, I'd like to settle on just the PPC and get rid of the Pronto.

I know I could send ir from the usbuirt to control my amp and Skybox but is Xlobby capable of being the glue in the middle?

What I'd like is to have the PPC jump to a Theatretek control screen when I start a film playing or to a Sky style remote page after launching Dscaler. Can it be done?
rhinoman

Postby MFan on Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:38 pm

rhinoman,

If you use an xlobby command on the ppc to send the ir command via usb-uirt, you could have the same command change your ppc over to the page you want. This is very simple and I use a variant of this where I send a signal to girder and have girder make a change to Sage TV. The button press that does this also changes the screen on the ppc to the appropriate Sage screen (liveTV, guide, whatever is appropriate).

The only reservation I have with the ppc approach is that it isn't the most convenient approach for every day TV watching - the regular old button remote is more convenient, but maybe I will grow into using the ppc as my only remote - don't know yet because my htpc is still in my office, not the living room.

Don
MFan

Postby jowaldo on Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:08 am

I was originally planning on using the ppc to be my remote for everything, using the usb-uirt to send the IR signals through xlobby, but the more I messed with it, I found it just wasn't practical. Having to look down and the thing every time you want to change the volume, channel, chapter, etc wears out the coolness of the ppc very quick. Instead I am looking more into using my ati RF remote wonder with Bill's xlobby plugin for it. I hope it will all end up working out well for the typical remote type things, but I still plan on using the ppc, but just for things like choosing songs to play or movies.
jowaldo

Postby wmandra on Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:08 am

rhinoman,
Currently I am using both a PPC and a Remote Wonder to control Xlobby. I started out using only the PPC, but after the original WOW this is rally neat wore off I started using the Remote Wonder more and more. I tend to use my PPC for stuff other than just controlling Xlobby and after a while it becomes a pain in the neck to have to pull out the stylus and start up the PPC client just to pause a movie or adjust the volume. Besides, with the Remote Wonder I am able to memorize which buttons are where on the remote and use it without even looking. If you are interested in using the Remote Wonder and would like to use my plugin, I should have a public release available by Sunday.

Bill
wmandra

Postby rhinoman on Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:35 am

Thanks for all the replys chaps. Taking on board everything you've said I think your right, my most used buttons on the pronot are the hard buttons on the sides for volume and the bottom two for play and pause.

Bill,
I dont have a remote wonder but would be definitly interested in seeing if I could use your plugin and teach it some ir instead of it expecting rf. I really struggle with trying to peice all this stuff together enough to get started but given direction I can often make something do what I need.

Many thanks all

John
rhinoman

Postby MFan on Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:08 am

Looks like another opportunity for my bleating for support of ppc hardbuttons with xlobby :).

Being able to configure a few controls, such as volume and channel, to hard buttons would be a good addition to xlobby and may make the ppc useful for general remote control.

Don
MFan

Postby jowaldo on Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:16 am

MFan wrote:Looks like another opportunity for my bleating for support of ppc hardbuttons with xlobby :).

Being able to configure a few controls, such as volume and channel, to hard buttons would be a good addition to xlobby and may make the ppc useful for general remote control.

Don

Yes I definitley second this, this would make the use of the ppc so much more handy and convienient!!
jowaldo

Postby rhinoman on Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:43 am

So if I third it does tha mean the motion is carried :lol:
rhinoman

Postby MFan on Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:18 pm

I think Steven holds all the votes.
MFan

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:05 pm

Looks like another opportunity for my bleating for support of ppc hardbuttons with xlobby

still on my original request sheet, which says alot because I have 6 pages of stuff. But I promise to look into it, I just have a few minor things I have to do first before I start adding this....I'm thinking each screen will have its own set of hard buttons events.....I'll add something to the skin editor like "pocket pc buttons" and then have a list and for each button, then you can assign something from the event manager for each button.
Last edited by stevenhanna6 on Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevenhanna6

Postby Roscoe62 on Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:05 pm

MFan,

I think I backed you up when you originally raised this point in the feature requests forum. This is something I'd still like to see looked at - for the reason you've just mentioned and a few others besides.

Those of you who have designed PPC skins, have you noticed how much screen real-estate is used up by having the regularly accessed buttons on a lot of screens? Things like volume, channel change and navigational controls.

Just imagine what you could put on the screens if we were able to move this functionality onto the PPC hardbuttons. I believe it would free up a LOT of real estate for more interesting/useful things, and would also solve the problem of having to fire-up the screen each time you have to alter the volume, or change the channel.

The trick is.....how do we convince Steven? :wink:
Roscoe62

Postby Roscoe62 on Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:07 pm

Oops! Posted a minute of two too late!

This is great news Steven.....thanks! :D
Roscoe62

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:09 pm

thats funny you posted at the exact same time as me :)
stevenhanna6

Postby Mikeydog on Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:02 am

Rhinoman: Hey I would be interested in seeing your config file for your pronto. I own a pronto6000 and am slowley setting up xlobby and all the other needed software. I have the front end about how l like it. I am not starting to program the pronto and girder..

Thanks
Mike
Mikeydog

Postby rhinoman on Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:52 am

If you PM me an email address I can send you my ccf and gml, there is no xlobby stuff yet though. As long as you have a usbuirt you will be able to import and use the files straight off, just needing to tweak a bit to replace my processor etc.
rhinoman