Can i control external devices through my PPC via xlobby??

Speak your mind

Can i control external devices through my PPC via xlobby??

Postby oreoboy13 on Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:29 pm

E.G i am running a HCPC in my sitting room as a xlobby sever being controlled via a PPC, is their a way of sending a command on the PPC to external hardware devices like my DAB tuner or my AV amp while also switching screens on xlobby?

Sorry if the questions isn't very clear as i am not sure what to ask, only what i want to do.

thanks.
oreoboy13

Postby mattdisaster on Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:37 pm

As always, I could be wrong, but I believe you shouldnt have a problem doing so. The only thing is you'll have to make sure two things are present:

1) The devices are IR controlled (infra red)
2) That you have an IR blaster (a device to send ir signals from your pc to the devices).

That would seem the most logical to me, That way you'de program commands into xxlobby and connect them to buttons say "turn on tape deck 1". It would send out the signal (even if the button is it on the ppc, since it sends the command to the server with the ir blaster device attached) and do whats gotta be done. Like I said though, I could be wrong though, good luck!

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby samgreco on Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:01 pm

I would highly recommend the USB-UIRT (IR Transceiver) as XLobby supports it directly. Also, Girder supports it. Do a search here for it and you should find tons of discussion.

To buy one go to http://www.usbuirt.com/

I've had one for a year and love it.

Sam
samgreco