Associating Master Volume control with external player?

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

Associating Master Volume control with external player?

Postby Jay on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:38 am

I needed to install Winamp to hear Shoutcast stations as the internal player does not yet support URLs.
I have temporarily disabled the internal player so I only have zone 1. The master volume control has no effect on Winamp, so the music controls overlay slider has no effect. The music player volume works fine.

I did substitute the master up/down (+/-) buttons on the overlay with music player ones just to get some control. But, how do I assosciate the master with Winamp?

(I feel another DOH! coming on) :lol:
Jay

Re: Associating Master Volume control with external player?

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:03 pm

You would think the "master" volume would control "master volume" hehehe. I really don't know as I generally control my volume externally. I thought the whole point of "master" volume was to get a hook into the windows volume control, but I may be remembering incorrectly.
cmhardwick

Postby Jay on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:31 pm

Yup. The master works fine with the internal player but not Winamp.
I checked Winamp 5.5's output plugins too. Nulsoft DirectSound output and Nulsoft WaveOut Output which is set to Microsoft Sound Mapper; enable is checked for that but the status reads 'not active'.
So... :?:
Jay

Postby Jay on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:19 pm

Ok, this is maddening. I had a party the other night and couldn't get enough volume to hear music. Apparently, I used the Windows Master volume control on another app. The XL server is in another building and I couldn't get away to check.

Here's a screenshot of my mixer. (Bria is a VoIP client). The mixer uses a SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec, Winamp's using it's Nulsoft MPEG audio codec. The 'Speakers' device appears to be the master; all sliders follow it. 'Main Window' controls the sound and xlobby does nothing.

mixer_screenshot.jpg

Anybody?
Jay

Postby sdumas on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:27 pm

I had issues in the past with volume control, specially when using multiple zones - so I looked around and found a little program to help me.

I used a small freeware called Nircmd ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html ). It allows me to even set a specific volume in one shot. Set volume to 60%, or mute card 2, or whatever.

It is a command line tool which needs to be associated with an event, but it works great for me - and no I can't use the volume slider on this...
sdumas

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:42 pm

It is a command line tool which needs to be associated with an event, but it works great for me - and no I can't use the volume slider on this...

You could use something similar to a slider though, by using the show/hide button events, along with the the command line "set" command.
Marbles_00

Postby Jay on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:36 pm

sdumas, marbles thanks. I'll try those. This is a one zone setup for now. Hope it's not a Vista issh.

Other odd thing in music on the fat client is that the Play button doesn't do anything. But the Add button does. Is the Prerelease different? Looks like I need to throw a playlist together before I can listen on the client? Didn't see any posts about that. Thin and Web clients work as expected.
Jay