VFD's anyone else here use them?

Speak your mind

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:32 pm

See edit in previous message.
Marbles_00

Postby m_ski on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Take a look a jaLCDs. The learning curve is a bit steep but it is a very powerful LCD/VFD tool, you might be able to do what you want with it.
m_ski

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:18 pm

Will do, thanks m_ski.
Marbles_00

Postby rbziggy on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:29 pm

A slightly different approach maybe...

I use a Squeezebox 3 in my lounge for music playback. Very nice large VFD on this.

Now, its not strictly integrated with XL. I chose the squeezebox because it gives very good quality playback through the lounge hi-fi / video set-up. This is different to the rest of the whole house audio that runs off a XL, Russound amp and in ceiling speakers.

However... the squeezebox is xAP enabled and you can display xAP messages on its screen (or control through xAP). I use it to display caller id info, house status messages and other things. Elsewhere in the house, these are displayed on XL screens and announced through TTS but I didn't want that in the lounge as it is a bit disruptive (the TTS announcements) when watching TV / DVD.

With the xAP plugin and Girder, I think it would be possible to use a Squeezebox with XL. The integration isn't direct but it would be entirely possible to build a neater direct, 2 way, XL plugin (the Squeezebox protocols are all published as is the xAP stuff) . Unfortunately, my skills are not up to it. :(

So a very high quality VFD, nicely packaged (I have mine neatly mounted under a 50" Pioneer plasma! - not taking a dremmel to that!) with the added bonus that it will stream high quality music and is Pandora enabled and will also stream RSS feeds which is handy.

Any takers???

(BTW. We did a blind listen with the squeezebox and cd player. With 320kbs MP3s we could detect no difference with the cd. Also FLAC seemed to make no detectable difference either. The hifi separates were about 6 years old but pretty good standard - ARCAM. Might not be ultimate audiophile but at this level I was amazed. Sold the cd player on ebay as a result!)
rbziggy

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:15 am

Scott...and who ever else may be interested.

I think I have a work around for displaying multi-zone information on a VFD, using LCD Smartie, Winamp's Now Playing Plugin, and LCD Smaritie's cut.dll plugin. Currently I have two instances of winamp running and displaying Artist/Track/Album information for each.

I still have to transfer this knowledge over to my music server, and then type up something that you will be able to understand and use for yourself. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, or early next week.

I'll keep you informed.

Now it's 3:00am, and time for bed.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 am

Cool,

Thanks alot :D
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:12 am

Marbles_00

Previous