Different Graphs for Different File Extensions

Got an idea, post it here

Different Graphs for Different File Extensions

Postby CiXel on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:39 pm

I think being able to assign different graphs for different file extensions / types would be beneficial.

I realize you could play with default affinities all day until you come up with a good default values, but it could be really handy to be able to swap in or out a codec with a defined pathing. it would reduce overall setup time and allow installers to use pre-defined graphs for their purposes.

Another option 'advanced' might be the ability to store the graph as %filename%.grf in the same directory as the file and the system could use that graph for that file.
I would think a generic option would be a better choice initially for obvious reasons ;)
CiXel

Re: Different Graphs for Different File Extensions

Postby wesblack on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:14 am

Yeah ! we have this on our list, just haven't got to it yet, but thanks for your input.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby m_ski on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:07 pm

You need to be very careful about applying a particular graph to a particular file extension. An .avi file can contain a multitude of different formats, mpeg, divx, xvid etc.. and different sound streams, maybe AC3 or mp3, so assigning a certain graph to avi files would not be very beneficial. Obviously, if you are using .VOB or .DIVX files then the distinction is a little more obvious. It is handled, for example, in Zoomplayer, by using the actual file format which is a string of characters within the header of the file that determine the type of video file.

Just my input on the subject, hope it helps.
m_ski

Postby CiXel on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:45 pm

Good points.

Perhaps the better suggestion here then would be the ability to specify a preference for the filter used for the formats: mpeg-2 (ie. FFDshow) mpeg-4 (ie. CoreAVC) and sound decoder (ac3 filter, reclock, or any of the poweredvd options).

Of course, being able to specify graphs by extension, you open up the possibily of playing blu-ray with the internal player.
CiXel

Postby CiXel on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:46 am

In order to get things to work correctly with file types and offline events, I had to call the execute command to then trigger the 'play movie new' instead of doing it directly. This got me thinking, while eventually the file type screen may be a great place to assign the graphs, In the short term if there was a way to make an 'Event' change the current in use graph, then you could call whatever graph you wanted by just assigning a start event (and maybe an end event to reset it). This might be more plausible in the short term as the file types is already doing the heavy lifting, we just need to leverage it to flip the graph event.
CiXel