PPC very slow

Help each other out

PPC very slow

Postby rhinoman on Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:36 pm

Now I have 8 music zones in xlobby my ppc seems to have slowed to a snails pace, if for example I adjust the volume it sends the command straight away but takes a long time to update the display, fine for volume but rubbish when choosing something to play.

Is it xlobby or might it be a probelm in my network?
rhinoman

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:31 pm

xlobby will not refresh the screen automatically...this what you might be seeing? tap anywhere on the screen to force a refresh..

does this only happen when you have 8zones setup?
stevenhanna6

Postby rhinoman on Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:31 pm

Just to bring this upto date, got a new adsl-modem-wireless-router today to replace the one I had and when I first powered it up it was fine speed wise so its definitly not an xlobby issue with 8 zones.

My new router 30mins later is failing to wirelessly connect, its not the first, it works from a cold start and then nothing and like I said, this isnow the 4th or 5th wifi access point that behaves this way for me. Any ideas?? :cry:
rhinoman

Postby jmv on Sun May 09, 2004 9:51 pm

Rhinoman,

Just got the PPC running (Axim X5 with Symbol 802.11b). I have 5 zones and my PPC is very slow...15~30s or even no response at all after a button press.

Steven,

What drives PPC responsiveness...the PPC, the Server, the format of the PPC screens...what should I try to do to test this. The Server is a little Pokey (800MHz PIII with 256 MB Ram running WinXP) the Client is the X5. Does the server make screens and then send them? Does it matter how large the CD covers are?

thanks for any insight. Right now if I don't fix this the PPC control is pretty much unuseable. I can't believe others are getting this same performance.

thanks,

mv
jmv

Postby jmv on Sun May 09, 2004 10:49 pm

Well, ran a quick test switching my game PC over as server (2.4GHz P4/533 384 MB)...and zippy as all get out...so I guess I am back to the piggy bank to upgrade the server...

Anyone have any input on what would be a sufficient FILE/Media server. I will be using it to run Xlobby in Server mode plus serve files to all my other systems.

I don't want to underkill this problem again...

jmv
jmv

Postby rhinoman on Mon May 10, 2004 2:03 pm

My server is a 2.4 celeron with 512mb ram on an asus p4p800. The celeron was a stop gap untill a P4800 came at the right price but it seems to be fine as it is. I now connect 3 PPC's as clients and it seems to have no problems.

If I was completly starting again with a new mobo and ram I think the barton 2500 represents much better value for money (and definitly better performance than the 2.4/1.6 celerons)
rhinoman