Divider between music genres. Ver. 3.

Got an idea, post it here

Divider between music genres. Ver. 3.

Postby Jay on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 pm

My MP3s are sorted by genre and I frequently have fam staying at my vaction home. They can see the album covers of course, but can't necessarily tell by those which genre they are. I use touch screens so they can't hover over an album for info.

Request automatically or manually-generated dividers capability between genres The divider would ID the genre. Vertical text would be fine IMO. My movies are alpha-sorted but maybe the same capability would be useful for those who sort by action, romance ... whatever. If this were available, I'd prob resort movies and video by genre, too.
Jay

Re: Divider between music genres. Ver. 3.

Postby wesblack on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 am

Jay,

I understand what you want but there is no easy way to do this currently. There are several options of what you could do.

1. Create buttons on the side for each genre and the user selects that genre to display the music.

2. Create several databases on one screen with each one filtered to a particular genre, like a slide show tab for each one.

3. Show the Genre on the screen and setup navigation buttons for the user to move over the artwork to see the genre before selecting an artist.

I am sure others on the forum might have a few ideas that may work but elude me right now.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Jay on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:00 am

Thanks Wes.
Jay

Postby samsonlov on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:24 am

Hi Jay,

Here's an "easy" way to do what you're asking.

1. Open skin editor on the page whith your cover-art category.
2. Select the "music" category.
3. In "Element Properties/Category/Item", type "%genre%, " before the existing "%display%"
4. Close the skin editor - You're done (may need to restart XL) :D - See attached pic "music 1280x720".
*edit* 5. Seems like this only works when in the "default" view, sorry. */edit*

- Also, you can click the "add" button and add "%genre%" or any other info/text items you'd like displayed, but remember you have to adjust the percentage of each of the line-items you add, so that all together, they add-up to 100%. If the % gets to be greater than 100%, the display can get a bit funky.

If you are trying to format the alignment of the items in any category, remember that xlobby doesn't like "spaces" unless they are between two items in a single display line. To align items that are in "their-own" line, you'll have to create multiple items and assign a % for each one, and then use the "allignment" box to determine where in the allocated % your item is displayed. - See attached pic "musicplaylist 1280x720".

My skin is a bit different than the default, but the concepts should be the same for any v3 skin.
Hope that helps,
Samson
Attachments
category_text_formating.JPG
musicplaylist 1280x720
showgenre.JPG
music 1280x720
samsonlov

Postby Jay on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:22 pm

That's great Samson. I only use the default view anyway.
Thanks!
Jay