SKINNING XLOBBY 3

xlobby docs (works in progress)

SKINNING XLOBBY 3

Postby Colby on Tue May 09, 2006 2:43 am

I completely redid my skinning document. It is very current. I still have things to tweak, obviously, but there is gobs of new information in it that may be a help to us. If I forgot something obvious or I am incorrect about something please let me know.

"You never know how dumb you really are until you document what you know"

http://xlobby.incolby.com/Skinning_Xlobby_3/SkinningXlobby3.html

P.S. I need to update the link on the help page, but i dont have access. I also would like to host this on XLobby.com. Steven can i upload this website?
Colby

Postby bfauska on Tue May 09, 2006 3:19 am

Colby,
I haven't checked out the new skinning doc yet, but I am sure it is great. Let me be the first to thank you for doing something to help people learn this software and use it to it's full potential. I know that if it wasn't for your last skinning doc I would never have gotten XLobby working well enough to decide I needed to build an HTPC around it (maybe I SHOULDN'T be thanking you... it's an expensive hobby.) :lol:

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Brian
bfauska

Postby jowaldo on Tue May 09, 2006 5:33 am

good job colby!

About uploading it to the main xlobby site and changing the link on the help page, only Steven has access to do that... Your best bet is just to email him the files and have him put it up.
jowaldo

Postby rika on Tue May 09, 2006 6:00 am

Colby once again, Fantastic work!!!!

Rika
rika

Postby vicom on Tue May 09, 2006 3:55 pm

Excellent !!! ... is it possible to have it in PDF?
vicom

Postby Colby on Wed May 10, 2006 12:21 am

vicom wrote:Excellent !!! ... is it possible to have it in PDF?

Havent I done enough work? Maybe, or someone else has my permission to make it pdf for me, and I will host it with the web version.
Colby

Re: SKINNING XLOBBY 3

Postby Myth on Wed May 10, 2006 10:25 am

Colby wrote:I completely redid my skinning document.

Good Job Colby!

Just a couple of minor problems

There is an image missing from image.html

and Glossary.html is missing

Myth
Myth

Postby Colby on Wed May 10, 2006 11:39 am

Thanks,
Fixed image. I am redoing the Glossary so I never uploaded it. Thanks though.
Colby

Postby jowaldo on Wed May 10, 2006 3:26 pm

I just tried converting it to PDF, but since its on a bunch of different pages, and trying to keep the left page frame out of every page just isn't working right... :(
jowaldo

Postby rembetis on Thu May 11, 2006 2:34 am

jowaldo wrote:I just tried converting it to PDF, but since its on a bunch of different pages, and trying to keep the left page frame out of every page just isn't working right... :(

I managed to create a .pdf. A couple of the images were cut off but I don't believe it effects the documents intelligibility at all. For the time being, it is available here but I would appreciate it if someone with access to the Xlobby server would host it there. I don't have the bandwidth to serve it up forever. I'll add the Glossary when Colby uploads it.

FWIW, jowaldo, you can load individual frames by using View > Source on the frameset and finding the individual html files.

Oh, and nice job Colby!
Last edited by rembetis on Thu May 11, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rembetis

Postby abobader on Thu May 11, 2006 9:47 am

Good job Colby!
abobader

Postby jowaldo on Thu May 11, 2006 3:25 pm

rembetis wrote:
jowaldo wrote:I just tried converting it to PDF, but since its on a bunch of different pages, and trying to keep the left page frame out of every page just isn't working right... :(

I managed to create a .pdf. A couple of the images were cut off but I don't believe it effects the documents intelligibility at all. For the time being, it is available here but I would appreciate it if someone with access to the Xlobby server would host it there. I don't have the bandwidth to serve it up forever. I'll add the Glossary when Colby uploads it.

FWIW, jowaldo, you can load individual frames by using View > Source on the frameset and finding the individual html files.

Oh, and nice job Colby!

I would have done the view>source trick... but to be honest I was being too lazy to do that yesterday :oops:

Thanks for making it..

I put it up here (I put it in your folder Colby... hope you don't mind)

http://www.xlobby.com/files/colby/XlobbySkinning.pdf
jowaldo

Postby vicom on Thu May 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Big ups to Colby...
Remebetis thanx for the PDF version
vicom

Postby FREDDYPD on Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:52 pm

Colby,
I am just getting started here and this doc looks great! I can't wait to free up some time and start to customize xlobby to fit my needs!
FREDDYPD

Tutorial or HowTo

Postby cooldog on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:44 am

Colby,

Nice guide!

I feel guilty asking you this, because you've obviously *already* put in a huge amount of effort, but what the hell ... here goes:

Take a look at this thread: http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4600

My post in that thread is basically a plea for a "howto" for skinning. As an example, what I'd like to do is to add another catagory, "Videos" (as in camcorder) that functions almost identically to the "Movies" catagory. It would have its own database, and should be "importable", just like movies, where a jpeg found in the directory becomes "coverart", etc, etc, etc.

From looking at your new guide, I have pieces of the puzzle, but not all of it. I figured out that I can clone the "Movies" screen, but not how to put a "Videos" button on the "Menu" screen.

It's been a bit frustrating ....

If you're up for writing some "howtos", I'm up for proofreading, testing, and editing.

BTW, if you care about typos (my eye seems to naturally catch'em ... call me anal, I guess) I found a few in the new guide ... let me know if you want the info ...

Regards,
Paui
cooldog

Next