Help with button state and a progress bar for light dimming?

Help each other out

Help with button state and a progress bar for light dimming?

Postby Grooby on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi

Ok a couple of questions as i am skinning my lights screen...(free lobby)

I have a lights on and lights off buttons for zones + a all lights on and all lights off button, what i want is for when i hit light on the button toggles to a on position so it is highlighted, much like if u hit a shuffle button...how do i do this, i've messed about but failed :?

Also i would like to know if its possible to have a progrss bar for dimming which would look like the volume bar, so each time i hit up or down on the dimmer button the bar shows progression up or down...is this possible?

Thanks
Andy
Grooby

Re: Help with button state and a progress bar for light dimming?

Postby rika on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:59 pm

Andy, have you read this?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4201

No easy way for a progress bar as i know of, you might be able to do it with a serie of toggles states combined whit show and hide events.

Rika
rika

Postby Grooby on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks for pointing me in direction of your guide, very helpfull...

Progress bar, well... :? :shock:
Grooby

Postby sharp_1 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Grooby:
Rika does a great job of illustrating how to create a toggle button here

Now there is really no way in xLobby to monitor (via 2-way) the x10 and have it show up on your lighting screen via a status bar but if you wanted to create a status bar that would essentially be a toggle button you could use toggle set states to create something that looks like it but it would be a lot of work creating all the events that would be needed to make it look right.

Tip: If you wish to dim or bright your x10 stuff xLobby is able to use the "sendplc a1 bright ###" and "sendplc a1 dim ###" (### = percentage of brightness) commands to turn lights on and off. If you use this solution you can never turn the lights off by using the sendplc a1 off command. If you do every time you turn on your lights they will blast you at 100% brightness....then you would have to dim from there. If you use the dim 100 to turn off the lights you will be able to turn the lights on smoothly and get a nice build up to a bright 50 or 60.

Hope this helps a little.

EDIT: Looks like Rika beat me out on this one.
sharp_1

Postby PhilB on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Toggle states are pretty hard to use in the current release.

Maybe Wes can tell us if Steven is going to improve them for 3.0?
PhilB

Postby Grooby on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Yeah i got no where and gave up, should be simple to just have a button stay in the entered position like shuffle does but is not music related, lights on and button stays on, then i hit a lights off button and it unsets the other button to its not entered state.

Ahh V3, i really like that coverflow, pity i missed the option to purchase, guess its freelobby skinning for me :(
Grooby

Postby sharp_1 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:21 pm

Don't give up on this...once you get it you'll love what you can do with it. It will eliminate/consolidate alot of buttons in your screens...you can also have buttons with the same ID on completely different screens change states. IE: if you turn on your lights from your lighting screen you can have an indicator on your home page that lets you know there is a light on.

I really think this opens up way more possibilities!!!
sharp_1

Postby PhilB on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:00 pm

Wes, Let Grooby join the club!
PhilB

Postby Grooby on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:43 pm

woo hoo cracked it!!!!!

I can now toggle buttons...good grief its a learning curve still sometimes :shock:
Grooby

Postby sharp_1 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:29 pm

NICE!!!!

Now I can only imagine what your skins are going to looking like.

Another vote for Wes to open up v3 to Grooby!!!
sharp_1

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm

I interface my screens with PowerHome and have it issue a command to xLobby to toggle the state of my button so it doesn't show on unless I KNOW it's actually turned on (communications failure, etc). I also have a bit of code on PowerHome that sets the text to the percentage if it's not off (0) or full (100). Works very nicely and reliably. Currently, I don't do any maunal dimming from my interface, but have a couple of buttons that go to a preset dim level.
cmhardwick

Postby shmuck2002 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 pm

How are you interfacing with PowerHome? I just started using that, and found it works very well to control my Insteon hardware. I am getting to a bit of a stumbling block, and it seems I may have "stumbled" onto the right people here :) Here's what I'm trying to accomplish: 2-way communication with Insteon hardware (I'm using the USB PLC), weather it be direct from xLobby (free lobby), or thru Event Ghost, or thru PowerHome. This will really let me do some wonderful things with my automation.

Second, and i know a bit off topic, I would like to be able to communicate with Phidgets hardware too, again either directly with xLobby, or just with Event Ghost would be fine too. Any tips would be great!!
shmuck2002