PowerDVD question

Speak your mind

PowerDVD question

Postby str1der on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:23 am

I have a question about PowerDVD. Can this be setup to load a ripped DVD from Xlobby and play it? I can get it to start up and load the files but not automatically start playing. Any ideas?

Please don't respond with use zoomplayer or theatertek. I know you guys use those but I don't want to purchase another software package if I don't have to.
str1der

Postby tswhite70 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:57 pm

There are a few threads about PowerDVD, just do a search. There is also a Girder gml for PowerDVD control - I mention that in case you can't get PowerDVD to automatically start playing via the command line, then you could create an event that launches it with the file and then calls Girder to tell PowerDVD to play.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby str1der on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:39 pm

I've searched read pretty much everything I could find but can't find a solution. I've seen a couple mentions here and at other forums (avsforum) claiming to have PowerDVD working but no specifics as to how.
str1der

Postby fredw on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:09 am

you can use simplevideo (just search for my post) i have it running on three systems flawlessly. i use it to play my dvds that i have ripped to multiple harddrives, using rip it for me and dvd shrink just play a movie with powerdvd and set all the settings the way you like em, simplevideo uses powerdvds codecs and settings to play the movies. use the command line /drive=%playlist% . and it works GREAT with xlobby.

fred
fredw

Postby str1der on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:11 am

fredw wrote:you can use simplevideo (just search for my post) i have it running on three systems flawlessly. i use it to play my dvds that i have ripped to multiple harddrives, using rip it for me and dvd shrink just play a movie with powerdvd and set all the settings the way you like em, simplevideo uses powerdvds codecs and settings to play the movies. use the command line /drive=%playlist% . and it works GREAT with xlobby.

fred

Ok I got simplevideo installed I set the DVD decoder for Powerdvd. My DVD's are ripped in ifo and vob files. First question is what should my commandline look like? I tried /file = %parameter% but when simplevideo comes up it gets a error dvd codec not supported. I also tried the /drive= switch also with the same results.

Secondly which file should I be launching? There are 2 different ifo files and several vob files. Thanks.
Last edited by str1der on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
str1der

Postby tswhite70 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:25 am

The PowerDVD thing was bugging me, I can't believe they sell that app with no command line or sendmessage functionality. Anyhow I spent a little time tonight with Girder and XL and finally got it to launch a movie properly - it was a pain to figure out and it's not very pretty but it does work.

The reason your DVD's wouldn't open is because PowerDVD opens in "Media" mode by default. .IFO files are not supported in media mode. There doesn't appear to be any way to force "DVD from hard disk mode" in the config or otherwise.

I've uploaded a Girder GML file, it's the 4.0 XP gml from the Girder website with a couple new functions to open the DVD from XL.

http://home.comcast.net/~twhite644/spid ... Xlobby.zip

Load the GML in Girder. Go into Xlobby\F2 and create a new event, select Girder\Send Event String on the right hand side - type "PowerDVDStart,%movies>parameter%" without the quotes. Click Add.

For those that are interested the new commands I added: I set a LUA variable to %movies>parameter% which should point to your .IFO with a variable script. That script calls the OpenDVD command. OpenDVD sends the variable to the clipboard and then sends the keystrokes to PowerDVD to select "DVD from hard disk mode", open the "Open File" dialog, and paste the path in from the clipboard.

good luck,
tsw
Last edited by tswhite70 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tswhite70

Postby str1der on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:59 pm

tswhite70 wrote:The PowerDVD thing was bugging me, I can't believe they sell that app with no command line or sendmessage functionality. Anyhow I spent a little time tonight with Girder and XL and finally got it to launch a movie properly - it was a pain to figure out and it's not very pretty but it does work.

The reason your DVD's wouldn't open is because PowerDVD opens in "Media" mode by default. .IFO files are not supported in media mode. There doesn't appear to be any way to force "DVD from hard disk mode" in the config or otherwise.

I've uploaded a Girder GML file, it's the 4.0 XP gml from the Girder website with a couple new functions to open the DVD from XL.

http://home.houston.rr.com/rswhite/spid ... Xlobby.zip

Load the GML in Girder. Go into Xlobby\F2 and create a new event, select Girder\Send Event String on the right hand side - type "PowerDVDStart,%movies>parameter%" without the quotes. Click Add.

For those that are interested the new commands I added: I set a LUA variable to %movies>parameter% which should point to your .IFO with a variable script. That script calls the OpenDVD command. OpenDVD sends the variable to the clipboard and then sends the keystrokes to PowerDVD to select "DVD from hard disk mode", open the "Open File" dialog, and paste the path in from the clipboard.

good luck,
tsw

Thanks for the info but don't you have to pay for Girder? That basically puts me back in the same boat of having to buy another app for several computers.
str1der

Postby tswhite70 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:49 pm

A lot of folks are using the last "free" version...

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31395#31395

or you might look into HIP - a couple posts down from the link above.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby fredw on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:20 pm

ok under file types set simple video as the program vob,ifo as the extensions and /drive=%playlist% as commandline, check enable and then add. this will set up xlobby to use simplevideo as the movie player.
make sure that the ripped dvds do not have the audio video folders in them. should be folder(movie name) with the ifo and vob files in it.
hope this helps
fred
fredw

Postby str1der on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:34 pm

fredw wrote:ok under file types set simple video as the program vob,ifo as the extensions and /drive=%playlist% as commandline, check enable and then add. this will set up xlobby to use simplevideo as the movie player.
make sure that the ripped dvds do not have the audio video folders in them. should be folder(movie name) with the ifo and vob files in it.
hope this helps
fred

Thanks for the info. I got that far without issue. The problem comes when simplevideo starts up. I've tried using both powerdvd and windvd as the decoder but simplevideo keeps saying "DVD codec not supported"
str1der

Postby fredw on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 pm

just leave simplevideo set to default
fred
fredw