A try for organizing the music database

title says it all

A try for organizing the music database

Postby Chicoo on Mon May 31, 2004 6:14 pm

Saw a couple of posts on the issue that most of you wanted to show the musci by artist --> album in stead of the way it is now. I am now playing with xlobby for a couple weeks and I had the same problem. But I wanted to categorize on genre and I thought that you could be interested in my solution.

First screen

After clicking on Rock.

What I have done is make a search filter on the music screen and made an event to set the filter to genre. I have added this event to the goto screen event. It still shows all the albums on startup, but after you have clicked on the specific genre it will show only the albums for that genre.
It should also work for artists if you set the filter to artist.

Btw: the skin itself is absolutly not ready. I am trying to combine the best of all the great skins out here as they all have some features that I like.
Chicoo

Postby Arthur on Mon May 31, 2004 7:30 pm

Yep, I think that's the way to go. How do you edit your tags. A lot of programs exist, howver, I would like to change the genre of lets say 50 folders/ albums at once.

Arthur
Arthur

Postby Chicoo on Mon May 31, 2004 8:23 pm

As I am experimenting, I only have about 10 albums. So I used notepad and did find and replace to edit the XML.
Chicoo

Postby Arthur on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:00 am

The reason I asked is that for Xlobby rock is completly different from Rock. If you would like to use this approach on artrist, all tags should be exactly the same!

Arthur
Arthur

Postby lar282 on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:40 am

Arthur try eags on for editing the ID3 tags. Nice little program

//Lasse
lar282

Postby jpoveda on Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:11 am

Hi chicoo,

I'm trying to do the same but ..., well, when I sort first time by artist category show albums right but when I try to do the same again xlobby crashes. I think the problem is what I have to put in filter command and in category name field. I put in filter command the category name and artist tag. Then If I don't put "filterdetails" in category name nothing happens but if I put "filterdetails", first time it is a success but second time I want to see by artist xlobby crashes. Don't ask me why I put "filterdetails", I'm not really sure...

Thanks
jpoveda

Postby Chicoo on Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:18 pm

I have it setup as:

Commands: set filter
Category: music
Filter: name

Then add this to the goto music command. For me this works fine, without any crashes.
Chicoo

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:15 pm

just wanted to let you guys know I have add a new import feature, so you can do genre>artist>album, artist>album, artist.

we are discussing it here if you want to try it.

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1442
stevenhanna6

Hi

Postby jpoveda on Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:40 am

Chicoo, let me verify two things.

1.-In set filter command, is category music?. Category or database?. I think it should be category name.
2.-In category, is category name music and pointing to database music?

Thanks.

Thanks Steven I'll try tonight. I think your solution should be better.
jpoveda

Postby edgley on Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:16 pm

I am trying to get this to work, but with no luck.

I created a button, with ID set to rock
linked the goto music screen event with it

Edited the goto music screen event
added a set filter command to it
category was set to music
filter was set to name (and also genre)

wont work.

Help please!

Thanks,
Simon.
edgley

Postby jpoveda on Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:53 pm

Hi Simon,

I'll try to help you but I'm not able to make it working fine 100%.

I've a menu wich a button "Musica" that does a goto screen to music screen, obviosly. In this screen I have a category named "musica" where I can select the album to play. In this screen I've a button named "Search" that executes a "show abc overlay" event with parameters "inputscreen" as overlay's name and "filterdetails" as category's name (Don't change this name!!).

In "inputscreen" I've defined buttons with "show>X" id and text "X" where X is a letter or a number (You should define specials buttons like clear and delete with "show>%delete%" and "show>%clear%" ids or "show>input" id to see input text) and a cancel button that executes a close overlay event.

I've tree buttons that sort my music database executing "set filter" event with parameters "musica" as category and "albumname" or "artist" or "genre" as filter.

Finally, I've a category named "filterdetails" pointing to my music database where I can see filter results.

My problem is that when I select an item on "filterdetails" category, xlobby returns to my music screen and "musica" category doesn't display right selection (Really, it doesn't display anything) but I can see right cover f.e.. I don't understand why.

I hope that could help you.
jpoveda