Filter Music on Click of Button (WAF!!)

Help each other out

Filter Music on Click of Button (WAF!!)

Postby a06lp on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:35 pm

Believe it or not, I am nearly done with my music needs!

The last item I need to implement into my music screen is to somehow add a button that will filter using the "genre" tag of id3.

It will be a regular button on my music screen (like shuffle, random, play, etc.), and when clicked, will change the list of songs to ONLY show songs with a genre tag of "Wife".

This is to make it really simple for my wife (but the implications of this are widely useful: a button for 'Rock' genre; a button for your favorite artist; etc.) - All she will have to do is open the music screen, and click the button that says "Wife's Music", and only her songs show.

Can anyone help me do this?
a06lp

Postby rika on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:43 pm

This is what the favorite button in dragon skin is doing.
Download and see how it´s done.
Your can just change the buttons to your own names in the button folder. you can allso set the tag wife favorite (or any user) from in the skin when playing a album or radio channel that you like and next time when you press the "wife button" that album or radio station will be added to her or your favorites.

Rika
rika

Postby scottw on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, I am pretty new at this, but I think "custom search" under the "category" command is what you need.

Add an event and use the custom search command:
Category Name = (your music category)
Field= Genre
Value= Wife

Then assign the event to a button

This is what I use to only show my daughters movies and have it linked to a button and it works so it should work for music I would think.

Let me know,
scottw

Postby a06lp on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:02 pm

@scottw:

YES!
That's exactly what I wanted.

...But now I have another problem. What commands do I set to a different button to get it back to the default view? I tried messing with the custom search, but couldnt find a way.
(In other words, 1 button for Wife, 2nd button for all music)

EDIT:
Duh! I just figure it out- Music:Reset will accomplish that for me.
Thanks so much Scottw!

SOLVED!
a06lp

Postby dalanik on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:42 pm

rika wrote:This is what the favorite button in dragon skin is doing.
Download and see how it´s done.
Your can just change the buttons to your own names in the button folder. you can allso set the tag wife favorite (or any user) from in the skin when playing a album or radio channel that you like and next time when you press the "wife button" that album or radio station will be added to her or your favorites.

Rika

Sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions, but when I think of it, wouldn't the favorites be lost on database update?

D.
dalanik

Postby Colby on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:41 pm

dalanik, from what I always understood new tags or custom tags dont get lost when updating a database only why you re-import a database. Updating a database is only looking for new entrys to add or delete, it doesnt change the information about what is there.
Colby

Postby scottw on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:15 am

a06lp wrote:@scottw:

YES!
That's exactly what I wanted.

...But now I have another problem. What commands do I set to a different button to get it back to the default view? I tried messing with the custom search, but couldnt find a way.
(In other words, 1 button for Wife, 2nd button for all music)

EDIT:
Duh! I just figure it out- Music:Reset will accomplish that for me.
Thanks so much Scottw!

SOLVED!

Glad you got it working :D

Also Music:Reset is what I use.
scottw

Postby rika on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:11 am

Colby is right.

Rika
rika

Postby dalanik on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:35 am

Colby wrote:dalanik, from what I always understood new tags or custom tags dont get lost when updating a database only why you re-import a database. Updating a database is only looking for new entrys to add or delete, it doesnt change the information about what is there.

OK, that's slightly better, but still I need to delete my database(s) from time to time.... :-( because of the pace of change in XLobby, skins and exes are constantly changed so databases get corrupted easily.... :-(
dalanik

Postby a06lp on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:05 am

scottw wrote:Glad you got it working :D

Ok, scott. Slight problem.

Now that Steven has added Mood Tag Support, I can REALLY test this out.

It works fine, except one bad situation (which occurs prety frequently, unfortunately):

When there is an album with many tracks, and only SOME of them have the mood tag, all the tracks still show up in the view.

I'm using Colby's skin - when I press the button designated to custom search (set to: mood; wife), it filters out any albums which don't have the wife mood tag. The problem is that when i then click an album, only the tracks with a mood tag of 'wife' should show - but thats not the case. ALL tracks for that album show.
any tips for this?
a06lp

Postby scottw on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:58 am

a06lp wrote:
scottw wrote:Glad you got it working :D

Ok, scott. Slight problem.

Now that Steven has added Mood Tag Support, I can REALLY test this out.

It works fine, except one bad situation (which occurs prety frequently, unfortunately):

When there is an album with many tracks, and only SOME of them have the mood tag, all the tracks still show up in the view.

I'm using Colby's skin - when I press the button designated to custom search (set to: mood; wife), it filters out any albums which don't have the wife mood tag. The problem is that when i then click an album, only the tracks with a mood tag of 'wife' should show - but thats not the case. ALL tracks for that album show.
any tips for this?

I understand what you are saying but I am not sure how to fix it. I am sure there is a way to have the custom search "stick" but I am not sure how. I will let you know if I find a way.
I am sure someone else will chime in :D
scottw

Postby a06lp on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:34 am

bump.
anyone know about making custom searches 'stick'?
a06lp